Treating Your Acne
posted: Jun. 20, 2019.
Acne can make you miserable, affecting your self-esteem and self-confidence. You may have tried every over-the-counter product available, only to find your breakouts are just as bad, and may have even become worse. The truth is, many over-the-counter acne products just irritate your skin, without reducing your acne.
The secret is, you need to seek out help from the experts. Our dermatology team—Dr. Marc Meulener, Sydne Miller PA-C, Cennia Hernandez PA-C, and Melissa Miao- PA at Choice Dermatology in Elizabeth, NJ, offer a full range of dermatology treatments, including effective acne solutions. Proudly serving residents of Elizabeth, Basking Ridge, and Morristown, NJ.
Acne doesn’t discriminate; it can affect both teenagers and adults, leading to blackheads, whiteheads, pustules, cysts, and other blemishes. You may be tempted to leave your acne alone, but that might be a mistake. Untreated acne can leave behind permanent scarring.
There are some things you can do to prevent acne breakouts. Remember to:
- Exercise regularly; this helps to increase perspiration, which eliminates toxins.
- Eat a healthy diet; minimize fatty, greasy foods and dairy products.
- Stay hydrated; drinking water helps flush out toxins that can cause acne.
- Wear makeup that doesn’t clog your pores, known as non-comedogenic makeup.
Your dermatologist can treat your acne, giving you back your clear, beautiful skin. Dr. Meulener may recommend:
- Salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide treatments if you have mild acne; these treatments can unblock pores and eliminate small blemishes.
- Oral and topical antibiotics; these medications can eliminate the underlying bacteria causing the acne.
- Isotretinoin treatment if you have moderate to severe acne; these treatments help with painful cystic acne.
Dr. Meulener also offers effective treatments if you do have acne scarring. You can have clear skin again, and professional dermatology services are the answer. To find out more about acne treatments and other skincare services, call Dr. Marc Meulener or our physician's assistants, Sydne Miller, Cennia Hernandez and Melissa Miao at Choice Dermatology. Call (908) 766-7546 to schedule an appointment at the Basking Ridge, NJ, office or (908) 355-0112 to schedule an appointment at the Elizabeth, NJ, office.