Posts for category: Skin Care
Acne can make you miserable, affecting your self-esteem and self-confidence. You may have tried every over-the-counter product available, only to find your breakouts are just as bad, and may have even become worse. The truth is, many over-the-counter acne products just irritate your skin, without reducing your acne.
The secret is, you need to seek out help from the experts. Our dermatology team—Dr. Marc Meulener, Sydne Miller PA-C, Cennia Hernandez PA-C, and Melissa Miao- PA at Choice Dermatology in Elizabeth, NJ, offer a full range of dermatology treatments, including effective acne solutions. Proudly serving residents of Elizabeth, Basking Ridge, and Morristown, NJ.
Acne doesn’t discriminate; it can affect both teenagers and adults, leading to blackheads, whiteheads, pustules, cysts, and other blemishes. You may be tempted to leave your acne alone, but that might be a mistake. Untreated acne can leave behind permanent scarring.
There are some things you can do to prevent acne breakouts. Remember to:
- Exercise regularly; this helps to increase perspiration, which eliminates toxins.
- Eat a healthy diet; minimize fatty, greasy foods and dairy products.
- Stay hydrated; drinking water helps flush out toxins that can cause acne.
- Wear makeup that doesn’t clog your pores, known as non-comedogenic makeup.
Your dermatologist can treat your acne, giving you back your clear, beautiful skin. Dr. Meulener may recommend:
- Salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide treatments if you have mild acne; these treatments can unblock pores and eliminate small blemishes.
- Oral and topical antibiotics; these medications can eliminate the underlying bacteria causing the acne.
- Isotretinoin treatment if you have moderate to severe acne; these treatments help with painful cystic acne.
Dr. Meulener also offers effective treatments if you do have acne scarring. You can have clear skin again, and professional dermatology services are the answer. To find out more about acne treatments and other skincare services, call Dr. Marc Meulener or our physician's assistants, Sydne Miller, Cennia Hernandez and Melissa Miao at Choice Dermatology. Call (908) 766-7546 to schedule an appointment at the Basking Ridge, NJ, office or (908) 355-0112 to schedule an appointment at the Elizabeth, NJ, office.
Discover helpful acne-fighting tips and trick to achieve clearer skin.
You’re trying to find the right way to get your acne under control, right? Well, there are certainly so many options out there that it can be a bit daunting. First and foremost, if you are just starting to deal with acne then you may want to tackle the issue from the comfort of your own home before turning to a dermatologist for help.
At-Home Treatment Options
The first line of defense is usually to try an over-the-counter acne cleanser or topical cream that contains an active ingredient such as benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. It’s important to be patient when it comes to seeing results. No acne product will work overnight. In fact, it can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks of consistent use before you start to notice results from commercial acne products, so don’t give up on a product too soon.
Other tips to follow include:
- Cleaning your smartphone with disinfectant wipes at lease once a day (imagine just how much bacteria your phone picks up everyday).
- Washing your face twice a day, once in the morning and at night before bedtime, and immediately after sweating.
- Being gentle with your skin. Harsh scrubs and being aggressive won’t get rid of acne; it will actually just make it worse.
- Using cosmetic products that won’t clog pores (look for words like “non-comedogenic” or “oil free”)
- Leaving acne alone (do not pick acne or try to extract it yourself, as this can lead to scarring)
- Washing pillowcases regularly to get rid of pore-clogging bacteria
When to See a Dermatologist
If you are having trouble getting your acne under control after weeks of trial and error, or if your acne is severe and painful then it’s time to enlist the help of a dermatologist who will be able to provide you with more effective strategies for getting rid of your acne. After all, there are different things that can cause acne and it’s important that your skin doctor figures out what’s causing your acne so that they can create the right treatment plan for you.
Dermatologist-Approved Acne Treatment Options
Depending on what’s causing your breakouts, a dermatologist may recommend these treatment options:
- Topical treatment: Prescription-strength cleansers, ointments, and creams containing glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and retinoids can target and eliminate acne.
- Topical or oral antibiotics: Antibiotics can reduce inflammation and kill the bacteria responsible for acne.
- Oral contraceptives: If you are dealing with breakouts that occur around your menstrual cycle then hormonal fluctuations could be causing your acne. There are certain types of birth control pills that have been FDA approved to fight acne.
- Isotretinoin: More commonly referred to as Accutane, this powerful oral medication is used for those dealing with severe cystic acne that can lead to deep scarring. This is often recommended when other treatment options haven’t been effective.
Have questions about getting your acne under control? Then it’s time to consult with a dermatologist.
Could those rough, white bumps actually be Keratosis Pilaris?
If you are dealing with rough patches of skin on your body, then you may be dealing with a condition known as keratosis pilaris. While this is a fairly common and nonthreatening dermatological issue it can be hard to effectively treat. Luckily, most cases of keratosis pilaris go away by the age of 30. However, find out everything you need to know about this condition and how to manage your symptoms properly.
Are you noticing any of these symptoms?
- Rough, scaly patches that are sometimes itchy
- White or red bumps that look like acne
- Bumps on the arms, legs, cheeks or butt
- An increase in symptoms during the winter
If you’ve said “yes” to any of these symptoms above, then your bumps may be the result of keratosis pilaris. Luckily, this isn’t a serious condition and often won’t require treatment. However, some people feel embarrassed by how their skin looks. If this is the case, then consult your dermatologist.
Keratosis Pilaris Treatments
There is no one treatment that effectively helps those with keratosis pilaris. However, your dermatologist might recommend a medicated exfoliant, a retinoid cream or gel, or laser treatment. While using these medications may improve the look of your skin, if you stop taking this medication there is a significant chance that the problem will return. The biggest issue with this dermatological condition is that it lasts for many years.
SelfCare Measures for Keratosis Pilaris
While your treatment options might not sound ideal, there are also some easy things you can do at home that can improve the look of your skin.
- Avoid scrubbing or rubbing your skin, which can further aggravate your condition.
- Always pat your skin dry and never rub. This will also help to maintain moisture.Apply a moisturizer after getting out of the shower. This can further help to improve the appearance of dry, irritated skin.
- Look for products with urea or lactic acid. Both of these ingredients can be found in over-thecounter skin care products and they remove excess keratin from the outermost layer of the skin.
Talk to your dermatologist about which prescription medications and lifestyle changes would improve your condition. Even though this condition isn’t serious you can still seek medical advice and treatments to help with your problem.
The Benefits of Botox
Want to erase the signs of aging this year? Millions of men and women are discovering the benefits of BOTOX treatments. BOTOX is a medicine that is injected into muscles to erase the signs of aging and treat certain conditions. Dermatologists are physicians who are trained in diagnosing and treating conditions and diseases of the skin. BOTOX is available from dermatologists. Read on to learn about the benefits of BOTOX.
1. It rejuvenates the skin.
BOTOX treatment is an excellent adjunct for rejuvenation of the face. BOTOX should be considered in addition to laser therapy, skin care, chemical peels, and resurfacing to improve the appearance of the face. It tightens and rejuvenizes your skin to help you look and feel younger.
2. It can remove your wrinkles.
BOTOX works by blocking nerve impulses that cause muscles to contract and cause wrinkles. It's commonly injected into the face to eliminate wrinkles. Many patients who get BOTOX treatments can experience an improved complexion without the need for surgery.
3. It can erase smile lines.
For most people, nasolabial folds— also known as smile lines— are nothing to smile about. Smile lines are fine lines that primarily develop around the sides of your mouth. They are more noticeable when you laugh or smile. BOTOX can reduce the appearance of smile lines. BOTOX can improve your look with minimal to no downtime. You will be able to go about your normal routine immediately after your treatment.
4. It can make crow's feet disappear.
Before you know it, crow's feet can leave you looking older than you feel. Crow’s feet are the lines that appear around the eyes. BOTOX is injected into crow’s feet with a tiny needle to improve the skin’s appearance. You may begin to notice the results of your BOTOX treatment within a few days, with results lasting up to 4 months.
Ready for an anti-aging makeover? Say yes to BOTOX! Find a dermatologist near you and schedule a consultation. BOTOX has helped many people enhance their appearance, giving them more self-confidence and improving their lives. And it will do the same for you.
Laser hair removal is a cosmetic dermatology procedure for removing unwanted hair from the face and body with long-lasting results. Laser hair removal significantly slows the growth of unwanted hair so that it does not grow back for extended periods of time. The results of laser hair removal are longer lasting than other hair removal methods, such as shaving or tweezing. At Choice Dermatology, Dr. Marc Meulener is your dermatologist for laser hair removal in Elizabeth and Basking Ridge, NJ.
How Laser Hair Removal Works
Laser hair removal involves the use of a laser that emits beams of light. The beams of light are aimed at areas of the skin targeted for hair removal. As the laser is gently passed over the skin, hair follicles in the skin absorb the light emitted from the laser. The light damages the hair follicle, which causes hair growth to stall. Any hairs in the growth stage at the time of treatment will be destroyed and the growth of new hairs will be delayed. Since hair grows in different stages, multiple treatments will be needed to achieve optimal results.
Laser hair removal can be used to remove hair on various parts of the body and face. It can also be used with a variety of skin types and hair colors. The best results tend to be achieved with darker hair colors. Hairs that are red, blonde, or gray tend to be more difficult to eliminate with laser hair removal and could require additional treatments. Your dermatologist can give you a more accurate estimate of the number of treatment sessions needed to achieve the desired results for your skin type and hair color.
There are multiple benefits to choosing laser treatments to remove unwanted body and facial hair. Some of the primary benefits of laser hair removal include:
- Saves time by not having to shave daily
- Eliminates the risk of razor nicks and cuts
- Delivers long-lasting hair removal results
- Eliminates in-grown hairs associated with shaving
- Is safe and gentle for a variety of skin types
- Can be used on the face and body
Laser hair removal offers several benefits, including long-lasting results. For laser hair removal, schedule an appointment with Dr. Meulener by calling the Elizabeth office at (908) 355-0112 or (908) 766-7546 for the Basking Ridge office.